Using a refractometer
How to use a refractometer
A Bracton refractometer allows venues to accurately measure the glycol & water ratio in their chiller tanks.
This instrument allows the cellar-man to know at a glance, whther they have too much water increasing the risk of frozen beer lines or too much glycol increasing the load on pumps which can shorten the life of the chilling equipment.
- Take a sample of the glycol / water mix with a test pipette.
- Place sample on refractometer screen & close lid.
- Point the refractometer at a light source & look through the refractometer.
- Take the reading (where the blue and white meet).
- Look at the glycol chart if reading below 18 brix, you may need to remove some of the solution and add glycol.
NOTE: Professional beer plumbers and technicians often perform this service for your venue.